Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Hide and Speak

Hide and Speak
Hide and Speak | Oil on canvas | 48 by 36 inches | 2013

Hide and Speak
Hide and Speak (Detail)

Hide and Speak
Hide and Speak (Detail)

Hide and Speak
Hide and Speak (Detail)

Here's the official reveal of Hide and Speak, a new oil painting that I've created, which has made its way to Singapore. The background of this piece is based on the void deck of my old residential building back home in Singapore. For awhile, I couldn't get the image of the lonely void deck out of my mind, and always knew I wanted to highlight it at some point of time in my work. Finally in 2013, I came up with a fun narrative that I thought would go well with this urban scene. Here's Hide and Speak.


'There is a place in my mind that is a capsule of nostalgia. It has — Multiple pillars painted in various colors with interesting geometrical patterns. A huge empty lot that houses bicycle racks, benches and recreational tables.

It can be — A massive playground where children gather to have fun. On a hot afternoon, it provides shelter for the construction workers who are drained from their hours of sunny laborious work. At times it is a location for weddings, and as a passerby, I get to momentarily breathe in a stranger's bliss. Other times, it is a spot for funeral processions and the harder I try to avoid the somber, the more it draws me in subconsciously, and I am left wondering about the life that he or she had. Sometimes, it is where the deranged homeless man hangs out, and I quicken my pace to avoid his blank stare. In the still of the night, it turns into a meeting spot where the cats come out to frolic.
This is the void deck of Singapore I grew up knowing, and the scene in the painting 'Hide and Speak' is set here where the inhabitants continually redefine its true meaning.

The painting begins as a fun and innocent child's play, but transgresses into a frightening hunt for playmates. It throws emphasis on the prevalent emotions of alienation in our densely populated communities, and at the same time, the ongoing desire not only to find others, but also to find oneself. 'Hide and Speak' signifies this ever growing and developing city, where each generation is continuously being challenged by the next to keep up with new emerging trends, culture and ideas. Some will be replaced, updated or eradicated by contemporaries. Some will be appropriated.

'Hide and Speak' is an oil on canvas painting that measures at dimensions of 48 by 36 inches.'



For inquiries on actual viewing and acquiring of this work, please contact Ms Vera Wijaya of Galerie Sogan & Art, at wijayave@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment